Letter of Reflection
This year I saw Soham Dance Space grow up. Having poured the last layer of a strong foundation, Soham is a big kid now. I couldn’t be more optimistic about what we will achieve in 2014 and the next few years leading up to our 10th anniversary in 2017. It’s amazing to feel poised for a new chapter for Soham, and I have all of you to thank for where we are today.
My dream – to create an empowering space for creativity and self-expression through bharatanatyam dance – has become a shared dream. The opportunity to build a vibrant and inspired community has been made possible by your generous support, near and far. THANK YOU, from the bottom of my heart, for all you have done to breathe life into Soham’s ambitious work and lofty vision. Scroll down to read our 2013 highlights and get ready for what’s to come!
With the new year ahead, I wish everyone continued courage to be yourself, do what you love, and settle for nothing less than a life that moves you. Happiest New Year!
- Transitioned into a not-for-profit incorporation &declared a 501(c)3 tax-exempt public charity
- Ongoing development of artistic work: Driehaus Foundation awards grant to Soham; launchedSoham In-Studio, a monthly performance series;previewed in Chicago Reader newspaper; featured as part of Chicago Artists Month
- Grew student programs: sold-out summer camps, performances at West Fest & Dancing in the Parks, abhinaya workshop with Master Teacher Indira Kadambi, adults program doubled in size, and more!
- Expanded the team: established Board of Directors & Associate Board, expanded teaching staff, and hired for new position of Director of Marketing
- Rallied the community: Hosted first annual Uplift Benefit & raised over $27,000 through individual donors to our Uplift Campaign!
- Renovated dance studio in Chicago and launched a beautiful new website that captures the spirit of our work!
Thank you for being a part of this huge year for Soham Dance Space! See you in 2014!